Linksys Range Extenders helps to enhance the wireless signal generated from your Linksys router. You can connect multiple devices to your range extender in order to increase the speed of your wireless network. So, Linksys extender works as a bridge to connect any wired ethernet device to a wireless network. These extenders repeat the wireless signal of your router to cover all the dead zones and provide internet connectivity in a hard to reach areas. Linksys extender setup can be done through its setup page i.e extender.linksys.com. So, there is no need for an installation software or CD for your extender setup.
How To Setup Linksys Extender?
You need to follow the step-by-step procedure that is given below for Linksys Extender Setup from the extender.linksys.com setup page.
- First and foremost, connect the antennas to your range extender. Also, keep the antennas in an upright position for getting the best signal strength.
- Now, plug your Linksys extender into a power outlet. For that, connect the one end of the power cable to the extender and the other end to the electrical outlet.
- Once you see the blinking LED light on the front panel of your extender, you can start the extender setup process.
- Now, for extender.linksys.com setup, connect your computer or mobile device to the range extender. For that, you need to choose between one of the given methods:
- Wired Setup: To connect your computer to the extender using a wired method, take an ethernet cable. Attach one end of the ethernet cable to your device and the other end to the ethernet port of your extender. The cable must be properly inserted and the computer should not be connected to the Wi-Fi.
- Wireless Setup: For that, connect your device to the range extender default SSID. The default name is “Linksys Extender Setup”. If you are unable to find your extender in the available list of Wi-Fi, place your extender near to the computer. You can also reset your extender by pressing its reset button located on the front of the extender.
- After that, you need to open a web browser on your system, for example, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc. You can find the browser’s icon on the desktop of your system.
- Now type extender.linksys.com or the router’s IP address in the address bar. The default IP address is 192.168.1.1. Then, press the Enter key from your keyboard.
- Then, it may show you the Login window to access the extender.linksys.com setup page. Enter the default password i.e admin in the Password field and leave the username field blank. Then, click Login.
- By doing so, the extender setup window will appear on your screen. Here you can change the language according to your preference for setting up your extender. So, go to the bottom-left corner of the window and select your desired language by clicking on the drop-down menu box.
- To begin the setup of extender.linksys.com, click on the start button given there.
- After that, it will take you to the Licence Agreement window. Carefully review all the terms and conditions of the agreement by scrolling down the page. To continue with your extender setup, you have to agree with all the terms. Hence, click on the “I Agree” button which is given at the bottom-right corner of the window. In case, you do not accept the agreement, it will cancel the extender.linksys.com setup.
- Now, it will begin checking for the wireless networks in range. Then, it will show you a list of available networks. Select your Wi-Fi name from the given list of options. If you do not find your wireless network into the given list, click on “I don’t see my network” and then follow the instructions displayed on your screen to detect your network.
- Click on “Use Hidden Wi-Fi name” if you have hidden wifi and then manually enter your network name and password. So, follow the below-given steps:
- Type your network name in the first field.
- After that, select your security mode by clicking on the drop-down menu box from the given field.
- In the next field, you need to enter your Wi-Fi password and then click on the Next button.
- Now, the Spot Finder technology will check your extender location to make sure that it is placed correctly. If your extender is too close or too far, arrange it accordingly. You can also skip this step by clicking on the “Connect Anyway” tab. Then, change the location of your extender after the extender.linksys.com setup is completed
- Next, the “Secure your range extender” window will be shown on your screen. So, you need to set an administrator password to secure your extender and network. Whenever you intend to change the settings of your extender, you will be asked to enter this password. Hence, follow the below-given steps to change the default password:
- In the first field, you need to create a password that should be difficult to guess but easy to remember. Also, consider all the specifications for creating a password.
- Now, enter your password again for confirmation.
- Then, type a hint for your password in the “add a password hint” field. The hint will help you to remember your password in case you forget your password in the future.
- Now, the “Setup complete” window will display on your screen stating- “Your extender is set up“.
- This completes the extender setup process from extender.linksys.com. Now, disconnect the power cables of your router and range extender. After that, you need to wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Now, plug in the router first and check the LED lights of your router. The LED lights should blink and then become stable. Also, connect the extender to the power outlet.
- After the router and extender turn on, your extender will easily synchronize with your router.
- Now, you can connect your devices to the extended network that you have just created to boost the speed of your network.