Linksys Extender Setup
Linksys Extender is a device that repeats the wireless signal of your router to expand its coverage. Desktop range extenders look like a small router and help in providing a higher speed of the internet. It has a number of Ethernet ports so that you can increase the speed of your internet by connecting your device directly to the Extender. On the other hand, Plug-in Wi-Fi extenders have a single ethernet port and connect directly to the electrical socket. So, it does not need to be placed on a surface. For Linksys Extender Setup, you need to follow the given guide.
Linksys Setup by Manual Method
Follow the below-given steps for Linksys Extender Setup manually:
- First of all, you need to place the range extender midway between the router and the area without Wi-Fi.
- After that, connect one end of the power cable to the extender and the other end to the wall outlet.
- Now, wait till the LED lights on the top panel of your extender blinks and then become stable.
- Afterward, you need to connect the extender to the computer or mobile device for Linksys Extender Setup by using one of the below-given methods:
- Wireless Setup: Connect your computer or mobile device to the range extender default Wi-Fi name. If you are unable to find your extender in the list of available Wi-Fi, place the extender close to your PC. If it is still not found, reset the extender by pressing its reset button till the LED light blinks.
- Wired Setup: For that, you need to connect one end the ethernet cable to the computer and the other end to the extender. Make sure that the cable is properly inserted.
- Now, open a web browser on your computer or mobile device. Then, type, extender.linksys.com or your range extender IP address in the address bar. The default IP address of the extender is 192.168.1.1.
- By doing so, it will show you the login window. Type the default password “admin” in the password field and click Login.
- Now, the main screen of the extender setup appears. Select your preferred language by clicking on the drop-down menu box. Then, click on the Start button which is given at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- In the next window of the Licence Agreement, read all its terms and conditions by scrolling down the page. You must accept the agreement to continue with the process of Linksys Extender Setup. So, if you have read and accepted the terms, click on the “I Agree” button given there.
- Now, it will start searching for all the available networks in range. Once the searching process is done, a list of networks will appear on your screen. Choose your wireless network from the given list of options. But if you have a hidden Wi-Fi name, click “Manually enter network name and password”.
- After that, it will ask you to provide your network security key. Hence, type your Wi-Fi password and then click on the Next button for connecting to your Wi-Fi.
- Now, you will be prompted to configure your Linksys wifi Extended Network. You can change the names of your Extended network according to your preference. Then, click on the Next button.
- Now, to change or view your range extender settings, you need an administrative password. So in the next window, make sure that you fill the necessary fields that are given below:
- In the first field, create an admin password that should be secure and memorable.
- Now, type your admin password again for confirmation. Make sure that you have entered all the same characters as in the above field. Otherwise, it will show an error.
- Also, you need to add a password hint. So, provide a hint that will help you in case you forget your password in the future.
- Once you have entered all the details accurately, click on the Next button which is positioned at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Now, it will show the “Setup Complete” window. You need to unplug the power cables of the router and range extender for 30 seconds.
- Then, plug in the router first and wait for all the lights to be stable. After that, plug in the extender. Your range extender will now synchronize with your router.
This completes the Linksys Extender Setup by using the manual method.
Wi-Fi Protected System is useful in establishing a steady connection between the extender and wireless devices. For Linksys Extender Setup, you can either use the WPS physical button on the router or log in to the web-based extender.linksys. Setup page.
Using WPS Button:
- Connect the range extender to the power outlet.
- Now, press and hold the WPS button on your extender and make sure that the WPS LED located on the front should blink.
- Within two minutes, press the WPS button on your router and wait till the extender is connected to your wireless network.
- If the connection is successful, the WPS light will change the color to solid green. It indicates that the Linksys Extender Setup is completed.
Using the WPS PIN or Router’s PIN.
- Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- In the next window, type your default Linksys credentials and click Login.
- On the setup page, select Wireless from the upper-panel of the window. Then, select the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” radio button.
- Now, if your device includes the WPS PIN, enter the PIN into the second field. Otherwise, you can enter the router’s PIN in the third field. You can find the router’s PIN at the backside of your router together with the serial number and MAC address information.
- Then, click Register.
- Once the WPS light stays continuously lit, it means the Linksys Extender Setup is completed.