Step 1: Establish Connection between Router, Modem, and Computer
- First of all, remove the packaging of both the power cable and the network cable of your Linksys router.
- Now, connect one end of the network cable into a LAN port of your modem and the other end into the yellow port of your router.
- Next, connect the power cable to the router and plug the adaptor into the power outlet.
- Then, press the on/off button of your router to turn it on.
- After that, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the computer and the other end to the ethernet port of your router. Make sure that your computer is properly connected to the router to begin Linksys setup and configuration.
Step 2: Check the lights on the front panel of the router:
After connecting the devices, you need to check the LED lights of your router. Ensure that the lights corresponding to the ports where Ethernet cables are connected are lit.
Step 3: Linksys Setup:
Now, you can begin the setup process of your Linksys router. For that, follow the step-by-step instructions that are given below:
Linksys Setup Using the Router’s IP Address
Following are instructions for Linksys Router Setup by using your router’s IP address:
- Launch a Web Browser: First of all open a web browser on your system, for example, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc. You can find the browser icons on the desktop of your system.
- Enter your router’s IP address: After that, type the default IP address i.e 192.168.1.1 in the address bar which is located at the top of your screen. Then, press the Enter key from your keyboard.
- Enter Your Login Details: Now, you will be asked to provide your Login credentials. Type “admin” in both the Username and Password fields to access your router’s web page. Also, tickmark the Remember Me checkbox to save the login credentials. Then, click on the OK button.
- Enable Mac Address Clone: For Linksys router work with your ISP, you have to enable the MAC address clone feature. By doing so, this will allow your ISP to recognize the router.
- Router Name: The setup page will appear on your screen. Firstly, change your default router name to something unique and different. Then, click on the Save Settings tab given at the bottom-right corner of the window. By doing so, it will show you a dialog box, click Continue.
- Wireless Network Name(SSID): After that, click on the Wireless tab located at the upper panel of the window. Then, follow the given steps:
- In the Wireless Configuration section, select the “Manual” radio button.
- Then, select the Network mode as “mixed” by clicking on the drop-down arrow key.
- In the next field, change your default wireless network name.
- After that, disable the “Wireless SSID Broadcast” option and click Save Settings. Then, click Continue.
- Wireless Security: Now, click on the Wireless Security tab located at the upper side of the window. Do the following:
- In the Security Mode field, select “WPA2 Personal” which is recommended to use for the home networks.
- Now, choose a strong and secure password and type it in the “Passphrase” field.
- Finally, click on the “Save Settings” option and then click Continue.
- Administration: Now, click on the “Administration” tab located at the top of the page. To complete the Linksys setup and access your wireless router setup pages, you need to change your default router password. The password should between 6-8 characters in length. Hence, type your password in the Router Password field. Also, re-type your password into the next field for confirmation.
Linksys Setup Using the Smart Setup Wizard:
Pursue the given steps for Linksys setup by using the smart Wi-Fi setup wizard.
- Go to linksyssmartwifi.com by typing it in the address bar.
- In the next window, read all the terms and conditions of the License Agreement by clicking on its link. If you have read and agree with the terms, select the checkbox given there. Then, click on the Next button positioned at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- For Digital Subscriber Line users, you will be asked to provide your account details. Hence, enter your Account Name and Password for your DSL internet service. These settings were given to by your Internet Service Provider.
- It will take you to the Router Updates window. Select the checkbox “Install Future Router Updates automatically”. By doing so, all the latest router updates will automatically be installed in the future. You can also uncheck this box to control an auto-update. After that, click on the Next button given there.
- To continue Linksys setup, the “Name Your Wi-Fi” window will be shown on your screen. Fill the below-given details:
- Provide a name that you want to give to your wireless network in the Wi-fI name field. Your network name must contain at least 8 characters and should not include more than 32 characters.
- Now, create a Wi-Fi password that should be both strong and memorable.
- After that, click on the Next button.
- Reconnect to Your Router: When you named your Wi-Fi, you were disconnected from the temporary setup of Wi-Fi. So, to continue Linksys Setup, you need to connect to the new Wi-Fi name that you have just created in the above step. Then, click Next.
- Create a Router Password: To access your router settings and for Linksys setup, you are required to create a password for your router. Hence, follow the given steps:
- In the “Create a Router Password” field, type a password that should contain between 1-63 characters.
- Now, in the next field of “Add a password hint”, type a hint that will help you to remember your router password.
- Afterward, click on the Next button given there.
- Finally “Your Router is set up” window will appear on your screen. It means that your Linksys setup is successfully completed. Also, the new Wi-Fi settings, as well as the new router password, will be shown on your screen. Then, click on the Next button located at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Now, Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account Page will display on your screen. Here, you need to create a Smart Wi-Fi account that helps you manage your wireless network and gives you access to all your router features.