Linksys Wifi Extender Setup
Linksys Wi-Fi extender detects the WiFi signal from your router and expands it throughout your home. Linksys range extenders also come with spot finder technology that guides you where to place your extender for optimal range and coverage. Hence, follow the below-given guide for the Linksys WiFi extender setup.
Pursue the given steps for Linksys WiFi Extender Setup manually:
- Connect your extender to the power outlet:
- First and foremost, place your extender near to the computer.
- Now, take a power cable and connect one end of the cable to the extender and the other end to the electrical outlet.
- After that, you need to wait until the LED lights located on the top panel of your extender blinks.
- Establish Connection between your computer and the extender: To begin the process of Linksys WiFi Extender setup, you need to connect the extender to the computer or mobile device. For connection, select one of the methods that are given below:
- Wireless Setup: For this, connect your computer or mobile device to the range extender default Wi-Fi name. If your extender name is not mentioned in the list of Wifi, reset your extender. For that, press and hold the reset button located on the front of your extender till the LED light blinks.
- Wired Setup: If you want to connect your computer to the extender wirelessly, plug the one end of the ethernet cable to the computer and the other end to the extender. You need to certify that the cable is properly inserted and your computer is not connected to Wi-Fi.
- Access a Web Browser: To continue with Linksys Wifi Extender Setup, you need to open a web browser on your computer or mobile device. After that, type, extender.linksys.com or your range extender IP address in the address bar. Note that the default IP address of the extender is 192.168.1.1.
- Enter Username and Password: Now, you may be asked to provide your login credentials in order to access the extender setup page. Leave the username blank and type “admin” in the password field. Then, click Login.
- After that, it will take you to the main window of the extender setup. Here, you can change the default language according to your preference. So, go to the bottom-left corner of the window and click on the drop-down menu box to select your desired language. Then click on the Start button and proceed to the next step.
- Now the Licence Agreement window will appear on your screen. Scroll down the page and review all the terms and conditions of the agreement carefully. To proceed for the Linksys Wifi Extender Setup, you need to accept the agreement. So, click on the “I Agree” button given at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- In the next window, it will show you a list of available networks in range. Select your wireless network name from the given list. In case your Wi-Fi name is not listed, click on “I don’t see my network” and then follow the on-screen instructions to detect your network.
- If you have a hidden Wi-Fi name, click “Manually enter network name and password” and then do the following:
- Enter your network name in the first field.
- In the next field, select your security mode.
- Then, enter your Wi-Fi password and click on the Next button.
- Now, the Spot Finder will check your extender location. If your extender is too close or too far, relocate it accordingly. This feature determines the signal strength between the range extender and your router. Also, you can click on “Connect Anyway” and move the extender after the setup is completed
- Next, you need to create an administrator password to secure your network. You will use this password to view or change your range extender settings. So, follow the below-given steps:
- In the first field, create an admin password that should be difficult to guess but easy to remember.
- Enter the admin password again for confirmation.
- Also, add a password hint that will help you to remind your password.
- Then, click on the Save button which is given at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- After that, Your extender is configured will display on your screen
- Now, Unplug the power cables of the router and range extender for 30 seconds.
- Plugin the router first and wait until all the LED lights of your router become stable. Then, plug in the extender.
Your range extender should now synchronize with your router. This finishes the Linksys Wi-Fi Extender Setup by using the manual method.
Linksys Wifi Extender Setup Using WPS Method:
You can use this WPS method for Linksys Wi-Fi Extender Setup if your router supports the WPS push button feature. This method helps in establishing a stable connection between your extender and router. You can either use the physical button on the router or log in to the web-based extender.linksys.setup page.
Linksys Wifi Extender Setup Using WPS Button:
- First and foremost, plug the one end of the power cable to the range extender and the other end to the power outlet.
- Now, press and hold the WPS button on your extender. Make sure that the WPS LED light located on the front of your extender blinks.
- Then, press the WPS button on your router within two minutes. Wait till the extender is connected to your wireless network.
- When the connection is successfully established, the WPS light on your extender will change the color to solid green. It indicates that the Linksys Extender WiFi setup is completed.
Using the WPS PIN or Router’s PIN.
Connect your extender to the computer and then connect the extender to the power cable.
- Launch a web browser.
- Then, enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. By doing so, it will show you the Login window.
- Type the default password “admin” into the password field and click OK.
- In the next window, select the Wireless tab from the upper-panel of the window. Then, select the Wi-Fi Protected Setup radio button.
- Linksys extender setup page appears. If your device includes a WPS PIN, input that number into the second field. Alternatively, you can enter the router’s PIN in the third field. The router’s PIN is located at the back of your router together with the serial number and MAC address information. Then, click Register.
- When the connection is complete, the LED light on your extender will become solid.